Battle of the Beauty Boxes: October Birchbox vs Glossybox Review

October 21, 2016

Hello again my fellow beauty box fans, October has been a pretty sweet month vis a vis beauty boxes with a lot of high value and full size items with a good level of variety. Let's take a look inside this month's Birchbox and Glossybox.

October Glossybox vs Birchbox
Birchbox - 

I was really looking forward to this month's Birchbox; I liked the preview of the astrology design and had high hopes, however, I was sadly very disappointed with the physical box I received. It was completely battered with bent sides and ripped corners, I'm not sure whether many people had this issue but the box was unusable and I had to throw it away which was a big let down.

My damaged, poor quality Birchbox 

:(
The Ritual of Sakura Magic Touch Body Cream - Sample Size - RRP £6
It's nice to receive a Rituals product as they're good quality, this has a lovely scent and is a decent size. It leaves skin feeling soft but at £19.50 the full size product is rather pricey for a moisturiser, however, I feel that that makes this a nice treat to receive in your Birchbox as due to it's size it should still last a while. I'd give this product a v. solid 4/5.
The Ritual of Sakura Magic Touch Body Cream - £6 - 4/5

Whish Renewing Mud Mask - Sample - RRP £7.25
I am amazed at how much this sample costs, the packaging is deceptively shaped when in reality you can probably get two uses at a push out of this. It works fine as a face mask but I would have definitely preferred to get a few more uses out of this. I was disappointed with this as I hardly got a chance to properly use it, so I'd give it 2.5/5.

Whish Renewing Mud Mask - £7.25 - 2.5/5

Doux Me Pure Spring Mist - Sample - RRP £8
My first thought when I saw this product was who would buy this? It's two ingredients are Nitrogen and Water, this is essentially the laziest equivalent of splashing some water on your face. After a couple of uses I must admit it is quick and refreshing and could see the benefit of using it in summer or after the gym. Nevertheless, it feels out of place in a winter box and I don't think I can get over paying £16 (for the full size product) for some water - 2.5/5.

Doux Me Pure Spring Mist - £8 - 2.5/5

Number 4 Fluoro Elixer Restore & Repair Oil - Sample - RRP £4.50 
I really do not like this packaging, it's very tricky to read the directions for use and has a chemical looking feel to it. I'm also very fussy about what I put in my hair as it's prone to frizz and other issues. I gave this a try and my hair does look clean and sleek but I wouldn't say anymore than it would if I used my Keratese products, I found this product quite boring so would give it a 2.5/5.

Number 4 Fluoro Elixer Restore & Repair Oil - £4.50 - 2.5/5
The Hero Project Glow Drops - Sample - RRP £2.10
I was intrigued by this product and the concept behind The Hero Project but I just don't know if this is for me. I have combination/oily skin anyway so normally stay away from adding excess oil to my face, I found it took a while to soak into my skin but it did leave my skin feeling slightly softer. Also the packaging was rubbish and leaked onto my hands when opened and meant you had to use all at once, I'd give this a 2/5.
The Hero Project Glow Drops - £2.10 - 2/5
LOC One and Done Shadow Stick in Haute Cocoa - Full Size - RRP £8
This is a lovely autumnal shade and is really easy to apply and gives a great colour, I think this is a product I will get a decent amount of use out of it. It's a good compact size that fits nice into my bag on nights out and is relatively long lasting. This is probably the product I'm most happy about in this month's Birchbox and will give it a 4/5.

LOC One and Done Shadow Stick in Haute Cocoa - £8 - 4/5

Total Cost: £35.85 - you pay £12.95
Total Score: 17.5/ 30
Best Product: LOC Shadow Stick


Glossybox - 
The always beautifully presented Glossybox 
This month's Glossybox contents
PS...Pro Illuminating Primer - Full Size - RRP £5
I have an inbuilt prejudice against Primark for some reason but have heard their PS...Pro range is good and I was really impressed with this primer. It has a great illuminating effect and really brightens the skin. £5 is a great price and I'd definitely consider buying this again and would give it a 4/5.
PS...Pro Illuminating Primer - £5 - 4/5

Triple Cosmetics Lip Parfait Buttery Lip Cream - Full Size - £12.95
I like receiving new products and new brands I've never heard of before, this lipstick has really cute packaging and is a pale pink colour. The shade doesn't suit me that much as I normally prefer warmer shades and I found that you had to apply quite a lot otherwise it would leave lips looking quite grainy. I'm surprised this lipstick costs £12.95 and I doubt I'd buy it in future but I would still give this product a 3/5.
Triple Cosmetics Lip Parfait Buttery Lip Cream - £12.95 - 3/5

Universal Beauty Cosmetics Secret Flush, Soothing Cream Blusher & Lip Stain Duo - Full Size - RRP £15
When combined with the lipstick above this lip stain leaves a really great colour and it gives a nice rosy pink flush to cheeks when used as a blusher. I like the idea of multi use products and it's great how many full sized items we're getting from Glossybox at the moment. I think this is slightly overpriced at £15 and I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it but I'd still give it 3.5/5.

Universal Beauty Cosmetics Secret Flush, Soothing Cream Blusher & Lip Stain Duo - £15 - 3.5/5



Bee Good Honey & Camelina Facial Exfoliator - Full Size - RRP £10.50
I was really happy to receive this product as my exfoliator had just run out. I think that this is a great product and I'm a fan of this brand, it smells great and is a nice, full sized item to get this month so I'd give it 4/5.
Bee Good Honey & Camelina Facial Exfoliator - £10.50 - 4/5

Nuxe Shimmer Dry Oil Huile Prodigieuse - Sample - £3.80
I think that this is a much better facial oil than the one sent by Birchbox. It has a much better quality packaging which makes it look really fancy and expensive. It's also works a lot better on my skin as it is much less greasy and leaves skin soft and refreshed. This product has earned a 3.5/5.

Nuxe Shimmer Dry Oil Huile Prodigieuse - £3.80 - 3.5/5
It's a really cool idea for Glossybox to send out a mystery product and defo something I'd be keen to see more of. I had a feeling it would be Head & Shoulders after seeing those adverts that are on at the moment and was excited to try it out. Like I said earlier I am fussy about what I put on my hair so a change in shampoo regime was a bit daunting; I was pleasantly surprised with the results and think that this is definitely going to be a good cheap option to getting sleek(ish) hair. I'm not sure whether I'd buy this in future out of loyalty to my current brand but I would definitely recommend it to those who ask and would give it a 3.5/5.

New Beauty Shampoo - Mystery Product
Total Cost: Approx £47.25 - you pay £13.25
Total Score: 21.5/30
Best Product: PS Primer (would ya believe it??)


The Verdict
Once again Glossybox is victorious. I like Glossybox better due to it's range of products and the fact that they are mostly full sized. Birchbox really need to up their game in order to keep me interested. There have been some great products this month and I'd definitely recommend a lot of them. I was impressed with how much each box was worth and think a beauty box subscription is excellent value for money!

Thanks for reading,

Soph xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe